Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bagging a Big Buck

I love living in the country, with wildlife all around. I have a lot of nice neighbors, and get frequent visitors. Usually, it is something small and avian, but occasionally something larger will stop by. Last week, it was this guy - an 8 point buck, calmly and contentedly grazing under my apple trees, in broad daylight and about 15 or 20 feet from the house.
He was aware of me as I came out of the house onto my screened and glass-enclosed sun porch, but I took care not to disturb him. He kept an eye on me as I slowly crept around for a better angle.This is the way to shoot a deer - with a camera and long lens. Just look at that velvet - I longed to reach out and feel it's softness.

And here's my trophy.

5 comments:

Susan Gets Native said...

Better than hanging from your wall...*shudder*

holly-the-human said...

Best trophy I've ever seen. And it can be reused!

wv: impee. Uhhh..never mind.

Kyle said...

And what a trophy it is! Nice hunting trip!

NCmountainwoman said...

Great shot! We often see deer around here, but none with racks like that. Lovely.

Dawn Fine said...

Thats my kind of Trophy! Great captures!