Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Iced in!

After I pounded on the back door to break free of the ice that encases my house, here is the scene that greeted me this morning:


Six inches of snow yesterday has been covered by freezing rain, leaving an ice layer between 1/2" to 1" thick. Walking on the sidewalk is impossible; walking in the yard requires breaking through the crust to the ground below. It is snowing now, on top of the ice. Whee!!

My bird feeders have turned into cages of icicles.



Look how thick the ice is!


In fact, the snow surface is so glassy that ... well, just watch what happened when I put my Magnum feeder down before filling it with black oil sunflower seeds.



Needless to say, I won't be going to work today. This is only the second time in my career that I have called off work because of weather. I'm pretty proud of that record.

As long as the power holds out, I plan on posting updates throughout the day.

Hope you are safe and warm, wherever you are!

9 comments:

Dawn Fine said...

Yikes...I am picturing birdies being impaled by those icicles! It looks like you took them off when you filled your feeders..good...
Well if its any consolation...It looks quite beautiful there.

Sheltiedoc said...

I took some similar shots this morning but have yet to find the cord to transfer the pix to my computer :-(. I am on my second day at home and REALLY hope I can get in tomorrow; I live on a hill and have to go out another very steep and windy road, and my van is NOT good in snow! But I finally figured that it wasn't worth killing myself to get to work and then sit there and have no one come in all day. I just check messages frequently and if something comes up we will deal with it. We are only open till noon on Weds though so no way was I even going to try!

denapple said...

Saw a story on the news of a CAR sliding into the Ohio River. The rescue guys had to use a rope to get to the driver and pull him up. Now the question is, what in heaven's name was this guy doing that close to the river in this weather?

NCmountainwoman said...

We've seen your ice storm on the national news. Lovely but so dangerous. Be careful out there.

Loved the bored girls.

Beth said...

I wish I could call off work- I have to sleep overnite at work so I can make sure the seniors have a hot breakfast - there is nothing like sleeping on the floor of my office and then helping make oatmeal and eggs for 300 people and act as a waiter! I HATE the bad weather!

Hope you enjoyed the day off - I wish I could get home to feed my boor backyard birds. Glad you are taking care of yours - I know they appreciate it.

Stay warm and safe.

Beth

Mary said...

The evening news is keeping us updated. Very scary! We had terrible ice storms like that in MD. I can handle a blizzard, but ice scares me.

Be CAREFUL!

Kathie Brown said...

Oh my goodness! When I see those feeders I think, "poor birds!" When I see that feeder gliding across the yard, I think "poor katdoc! I hope she stayed upright!"

Mary C said...

Pictures like these make me grateful I live in California! ;o) I hope you're safe and warm!

Julie Zickefoose said...

Whoa! This ice storm makes ours look pretty piddling. Amazing. And I think your skating feeder should go viral on YouTube.