Friday, June 12, 2009

Live ... from Wildacres ... It's Friday Night!

I have survived my first day of the pottery workshop, despite feeling like a total newbie, wrecking most of the work I started and getting only one or two small pieces that are even worth keeping. Still, there is some compensation. The mountains of the Pisgah National Forest in Western North Carolina are lush and green.

The fire pinks
and mountain laurels are in bloomand there is a view around every corner.
I have been birding, too, mostly by ear, although it seems as though every Chipping Sparrow in the county is feeding 2 or 3 fledglings. I see and hear begging babies everywhere I go. Best bird by far is the heard-only Philadelphia Vireo. I am 99% sure I got that song right after listening to my BirdJam (Hi, Jay!) Please, if I'm wrong and Philly Vireo isn't found here, wait until after I get back to break the bad news. I need to feel like I know something this week.

Edit, Monday: I would like to formally retract my Philly Vireo ID. Yesterday, I tracked down the same bird in the same spot and thought he sounded more like a Red-eyed Vireo. I called him in with the iPod and even got a photo.


Thanks for not embarrassing me on the 'Net and letting me learn from my mistakes.

2 comments:

nina at Nature Remains. said...

I hope you're tracking down a tree frog--those lush mountains must have plenty.
I expect stellar pictures.
But, birds would be fine, too.

Enjoy the workshop!

Lisa said...

Aw, man, mountain laurels are my favorites... bet they're HUGE there.