Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Snowbirds

Dark-eyed Junco

I understand why juncos are called "snowbirds," since their arrival signals the return of winter storms to Ohio. But, I don't understand why Ohioans who travel to Florida for the winter, escaping the snow, have the same nickname.

Be that as it may, KatDoc is about to transform herself into a snowbird, at least temporarily. I'm off to Orlando, Florida for a five day veterinary conference, followed by a three day mini-vacation with family. I hope to get in some birding while I'm away, and to bring back lots of news and photos to fill up the blog.

So, have fun in my absence, behave yourselves, and get to work on this week's toxicology quiz! (I suppose you are going to say those three things are mutually exclusive, right?)

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I saw on the weather channel that the high in Orlando is supposed to be nearly 80 tomorrow.

I hate you.

Anonymous said...

I do hope you have a wonderful conference and some great birding. We'll look forward to some great birds when you get back. Have fun!

Kathy said...

Have fun in Florida! Washington state "snowbirds" often go to Arizona during the winter.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hope you get lots of lifers when you get out to bird. Don't forget the sunscreen and a hat.

Sara said...

Wishing you a happy vacation and great birds !

Mary said...

Have a great and safe trip! I look forward to hearing about it. Hope the weather warms you.

Anonymous said...

WOWWWW!!! I did a post almost EXACTLY like this titled "Snow Birds" with a picture of a Dark-eyed Junco. Great minds think alike. What a coincidence though really.


Anyway, have fun in Florida.

Susan Gets Native said...

Jeez, are you HOME yet!!!!?