Thursday, January 3, 2008

Word of the Day

Something I want to try to start this year is "Word of the Day." My sources are A.Word.A.Day at wordsmith.org and FreeRice.com Free Rice is a cool site; they give you a word and a choice of 4 definitions. For every word you get right, they donate 20 grains of rice to a charity that feeds people. If you get three right in a row, they advance you to the next level, if you miss one, they drop you back down a level. There are 50 levels. I have only gotten to #48.

Today's word comes from Free Rice:

Grok

Grok comes from Robert A. Heinlein's 1961 classic science fiction book, "Stranger in a Strange Land." According to Wikipedia, "grok" is derived from the Martian word meaning "to drink." It is basically defined as "to understand," but really is more than that. It means to understand so deeply as to become one with, to merge, to meld with, to lose oneself in the experience.

Grok. To understand completely. Use it in a sentence. I dare you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Free Rice. I have it on my classroom computers and have seen my students sitting there looking words up in the dictionary in order to give more rice. Gotta love that kind of motivation. I grok the meaning behind Free Rice but I love the way it motivates people to keep learning new words!

Lisa said...

Excellent usage!

Katdoc - believe it or not, I do grok the importance of not signing up one's sister for unrequested email lists, and I promise not to do it again, unless I'm again spontaneously compelled to without thinking about it and also pretty sure it's something you'll like. :)

KGMom said...

Katdoc, my daughter sent me the link for FreeRice a while back.
I confess my competitive spirit reared up, and I was looking up meanings of words so I could keep the rice coming!
Finally, I tried to miss purposefully, guessing words I had no idea about, but I kept hitting the right meaning anyway.

Kathy said...

Thank you for the web site link. It didn't take long before I had to grab the dictionary for help. Next time I play I'll try it without checking a dictionary, even though that means the rice bowl won't be as full.

Susan Gets Native said...

I grok that I may have had too much to grok.