Sunday, June 15, 2008

Brown County Snapper

After walking at Crooked Run Nature Preserve, I cruised up and down the Ohio River on SR 52, visiting a few places, including the Chilo Dairy Bar for my traditional after-birding ice cream cone. Just after I crossed out of Clermont County and into Brown County, I saw what looked like an alligator up ahead. It had just finished crossing the road, and was walking with its belly held high above the baking asphalt, determinedly headed for the cooler grassy verge. I stopped for a quick photo.


Not a gator, but something equally primitive and cantankerous. A snapping turtle. Good thing it was already safe, since I don't think this tough customer would appreciate my attempts to rescue it.

1 comment:

entoto said...

Holy cow! Looky at that tail. I guess I have never seen one out of water. What a find!